Saturday, September 1, 2012

I finally have some form of site!

Well I finally did it. It's not technically a website, but it works for now! This will be the place to go for all information on my books. Wanna find out about book signings? Want to know when my next book is coming out? You're in the right place!

To start I want to talk about my book that's already out there, Happenstance. This book came out of nowhere and very often I think of it like a lovechild - unexpected, but still something I adore very much. It tells the story of Lawrence Habberdash. He lives in Spokepsie. It was once a small town but grew into a metropolis when the Oot Fruit industry became popular. The Oot Fruits were discovered by Lawrence's great-great-great grandfather and had stayed in the family business until Lawrence's father accidentally signed it away to a business group called the Big Wigs, headed by one Percival C. Undermire.





Lawrence started out as a simple doodle. I kept it around because I thought it was cute. In November of 2010, I found out about the fascinating program called National Novel Writing Month. (www.nanowrimo.org) I was currently working on Zone-E (We'll talk about this later) but wanted to start my 50,000 word goal with something fresh. That was when I looked over at that doodle and thought, "I'll write it about Lawrence!" One month later I had a novel. I published it with an amazing self-publishing company called CreateSpace (www.createspace.com) and have enjoyed selling some copies and sharing my words with family and friends. It's not that I don't care about making money selling books, but the most important thing to me is that the words get read, even if just by a few people. I have to say, just holding that book in my hands felt pretty awesome too.




Another awesome thing, was realizing that Happenstance had potential for a sequel. Once I get Zone-E in print, that will be my next job! (Once I start working on marketing my books better of course ;D) I already have the first few chapters done and some new characters mapped out. I'm quite excited.

Now I'm going to take the chance to explain my next book, a huge change from Happenstance. If Happenstance is my love-child, then Zone-E is the baby that I always planned on and wanted (Not that I didn't want Happenstance). The idea for Zone-E came years before Happenstance. It was just an idea - a group of characters looking for a treasure in an icy tundra in a dystopian world. I never had enough of a plot to really write it though, so I left it on the back-burner. Then, about a year before Happenstance, I was on a site, doing a writing contest just for fun. The prompt was to write a short story where characters used their own kind of slang, set anywhere we wanted. I found that old idea, and suddenly my main character, Lyza, came to life. When I finished writing the short story, I realized it had such potential. The story became the Prologue and the first chapter. They both have changed a bit by now but the idea remains.

I had come to a stand still by the time Happenstance came around. I was halfway through and had no idea where it was going. A year later, it still wasn't coming about. Another NaNoWriMo had come and gone (This time without a book coming from it) and I was feeling rather sad. Then in the Spring I moved down with my grandparents to get some new scenery and experiences in. Slowly, some words came. Then I took an amazing class, and extension class at a local community college. It was taught by Bobbie Christensen. It was all about a book she had written called Writing, Publishing and Marketing Your 1st Book (or 7th) - If you're a writer, I highly suggest reading it! www.booksamerica.com. It gave me a whole new perspective. I did as she suggested, mapping out the book scene by scene. Once I knew the end, things were suddenly easier. Before I knew it, Zone-E was done. It was a huge relief. Sure, I haven't followed the editing portion of her method exactly (since I'm still editing it and all) but its still so much farther than it would have been! I am proud to say that I'll be published for the second time this Fall. Also, I am planning on entering this one in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest that happens in January. Its a great way to get publicity and I look forward to having Zone-E ready for it! Now that that's all said and done, I sign off on my first post here!

More links before you go:
Follow Happenstance on Facebook: www.facebook.com/HappenstanceBook
Follow Zone-E on Facebook: www.facebook.com/enterzonee

Oh, and here's a look at the cover that I will be using for Zone-E, designed by my amazing friend, Erica Robinson!


No comments:

Post a Comment